Thursday 16 May 2013

Easy to Find: Three Good Things (Day 5)

It's so easy to find three good things in nature at this time of year. Plants are just bursting out everywhere. Birds are filling the sky with their songs. The days are getting longer and warmer. This challenge would be harder, but perhaps more creative, in the short wet days of winter. January would be a good time to do it: it's always so grim, with Christmas over and Spring so far away, the weather still getting colder and wetter, and that feeling that the fresh start you're supposed to have made is just going to be such drudgery and tedium.

But in May, it's easy. I don't even have to walk out of my front door to find three things. Whilst still lying in bed, I can hear the birds warbling and trilling as the grey light of dawn filters through the curtains. I go downstairs and open the sitting room curtains, and I can see a blackbird nesting in the climber outside. Where ivy has started creeping over the window I can see the rough brown protrusions it uses to adhere to the glass.


I haven't got any photos of these, though, so as an bonus, here is a picture of some ferns trying to be seahorses...





No comments:

Post a Comment