Monday 13 May 2013

Three Good Things from Nature: Holes in the Ground

After yesterday's mini resolution to connect more with the natural environment by noticing and noting, I spent some time on Monday looking at holes in the ground.

The question I asked was: What lives here?
I don't have answers, but after a bit of research, I do have some ideas.


3 - 4cm diameter, in flat ground.
Mouse, rat? Seems quite big for a mouse. Possibly a weasel?


About 2cm wide, in a low bank.
The dead laurel leaf was partly obscuring the hole until I moved it.
A deliberate attempt at camouflage?
Mouse or vole perhaps?


Three holes, each less than 1cm diameter, in a low bank.
Probably made by ground bees.

It took me about ten minutes to find these three different animal homes. Not much time out of my day to take time to connect, to notice, to take note. And doing so gave me real pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment